Selling a home or investment property is a big decision. There are a lot of things to consider and questions to answer. A good real estate agent can really make a world of difference.
But how do you know which one is the right one?
There are so many options to choose from, which can make it seem a bit overwhelming! From the big, well-known agencies to the smaller, local specialists – here are some tips to help you find the best agent for selling your property:
Finding the right Real Estate Agent for you
1. Ask around: the opinions and experiences of people who have “been-there-done-that” are incredibly valuable. If anyone you know has recently bought or sold property, ask them who they dealt with and how it went for them. Ask friends and family- the more information you have the better decision you can make.
2. Check online: just like most subjects, the internet is the place to go for any information about particular agents or agencies, whether good or bad.
A legitimate agency will have an official website with testimonials from previous clients. Most will also have Facebook pages which contain reviews and recommendations. Individual agents, especially from larger companies, will often have their own social media pages so you can see feedback related directly to them.
You can be fairly sure that if anyone has had a bad experience with a real estate agent – it will most certainly be on the Internet!
3. Pay attention to professionalism: if you have found great feedback about an agent online or someone has recommended them to you personally, you have a good base to work from. But, you should also consider the little things.
Are they professional and polite?
Do they respond to calls and emails promptly?
Do they seem genuinely interested in helping you?
Some of the “best” agents are the ones with the busiest portfolios, so they are also the ones who forget to reply to your queries, miss appointments, or maybe can’t remember who you are when you call. Finding someone who clearly has respect for you and wants to offer you a great service is important.
4. Consider your target buyers: what kind of agent does your property require? Selling family homes, investment properties, or “fixer-upper” properties all have very different target markets and you will want an agent with proven success in the area you need.
5. Check commission and other hidden fees: ah yes – the big question! How much money are they going to be taking off of your selling price? And what other hidden fees might pop up? These will most likely include marketing and admin fees, but you might find others. Ask about these upfront so there are no surprises further down the line.
6. Ask Questions and research: like we said, this is a big decision and you shouldn’t be afraid to ask questions to make sure you are getting the best person for the job. Ask prospective agents for sales histories, their strategies for getting you the best deal, and what they believe sets them apart from the rest.
It is also a good idea to get familiar the Real Estate Authority (REA) Code of Conduct so you know what your rights are.
Choosing the right real estate agent can be the difference between selling your home for what it is worth and not getting the sale or the price you are after. So do your homework first!
Looking to buy a new site?
If you’re buying a new property don’t forget to do your due diligence in full! This should include reviewing the building consents and resource consents on the property- make sure you know what’s been legally established and what resource consent conditions you need to meet. Don’t forget that part of the service we provide is on due diligence; give us a call if you have any questions. 09427 9966, firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer As with all our blogs, the information detailed here is general in nature and meant as a preliminary guide only. This should not be substituted for your own investigations or use of your own professional’s.