Can I change a consent notice?

Consent notices are restrictions (conditions) placed on a certificate of title, that an owner is required to comply with on an ongoing basis. They can relate to issues such as building platforms, stormwater management, servicing and building colours. Sometimes, you may need to change or cancel these conditions. In these cases, you will need to vary or delete those consent notice conditions.

How can I vary a consent notice?

Consent notice conditions can be changed or cancelled (by the site owner) by making an application under s221(3) of the Resource Management Act (RMA). This is another type of formal application, so does need to go through a formal process and there are Council fees associated with this. The application can also be declined; it’s not a “given” that you will be allowed to make the changes you seek.

How do I make the application?

As this is another type of RMA application, you need to provide an assessment that outlines:

  • Describes the existing environment,

  • What you propose and why,

  • What consent notice conditions you want to alter and how,

  • Assesses the potential adverse environmental effects of the changes,

  • Assesses the impact of the changes in relation to objectives and policies of the relevant planning documents and the relevant sections of the RMA.

This is done via an “Assessment of Environmental Effects” (AEE) report. Typically, this is prepared by your Planner. The application is a “Discretionary Activity”, and you will need to provide an assessment that is “fit for purpose” and addresses all of the relevant matters.

Remember this isn’t simply a paper exercise but is another formal application; it’s the same process as obtaining a resource consent, but assessment relates to the changes.

Each Council will also have an application form that you need to fill out.

How is the application processed?

A s221(3) RMA application is processed in a similar way to a resource consent, including:

  • An initial review of the application documents for completeness (s88 RMA),

  • A notification assessment, potentially identifying that adverse effects are more than minor or that neighbours are affected. You need to address this in your application report,

  • Making a decision on the application overall (s104 RMA).

The Council can still request further information (s92 RMA), but in relation to the changes. What was approved initially is essentially “off the table” and the assessment is focused on the changes.

Need to change a consent notice?

If you need to change a consent notice, give our team a call. We can review your existing resource consent and give you advice on what you propose. We can also draft the AEE and liaise with the Council on your behalf. If you want to make life easier for yourself, give us a call today!, 09 427 9966.

Tracy is a Planner with an M.Sc. in Resource Management.

Tracy has worked assisting Senior Planners with the preparation and lodgement of resource consent applications, as well as planning. She also provided support in client liaison, contractor engagement and general communications.

email Tracy

Disclaimer As with all our blogs, the information detailed here is general in nature and meant as a preliminary guide only. This should not be substituted for your own investigations or use of your own professional’s.

#s104 #s92 #s221 #RMA #RESOURCECONSENT #recourceonsentvariation

741 views0 comments




Phone: 09 427 9966


Office: Shop 3/12 Silverdale Street

Postal Address:

PO Box 310 174
Red Beach, Auckland 0945

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Twitter Icon


Disclaimer of liability. The Company makes no warranty with respect to documents or other information available from this Website; assumes no legal liability or responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any such information; and does not represent that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. The Company disclaims all warranties, express and implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.

Copyright © 2020 - Planning Plus is a Trade Mark of Planning Plus Ltd. All Rights Reserved :  Website designed by Solute Digital