top of page

Architects, Architectural Designers and Draughts People… are all equal?

Choosing the right people to work with and assist you in your development is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. It can affect not only the price you pay, but the shape and type of development, timing and in some cases the cost and time associated with getting Council consents.

Today we’re taking a look at architects and designers, often your first port of call when you’re thinking about a development. Your choice here will shape how your development looks, feels, how you use the space, and cost.

There are a lot of people out there who can help you design a project and draft plans. Their knowledge and skills vary greatly, and you need to do your research to get the best fit for you and your project. With all these options, what’s the difference?

Architects have completed relevant degrees and can be registered with the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB). A prerequisite of registration is a degree in architecture, three years’ work experience, and a registration assessment. Architects are required to re-register with the NZRAB every five years. Many architects are also members of the New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA), which on behalf of NZRAB runs a Continuing Education Programme which Architects must participate in.

Architectural Designers like an Architect, an architectural designer may be involved with a project from concept to final completion. An architectural designer is a Licensed Building Practitioner(LBP) who will most likely have some tertiary qualification relating to design and building (potentially an architecture degree) but they will not have passed the requirements of the NZRAB. An architectural designer can create custom plans and should have full working knowledge of the building code and local resource consent requirements. Some architectural designers are members of the Architectural Designers New Zealand Incorporated (ADNZ).

A Draughtsperson may assist an architect with plans but can also work on their own. They are ideal when you require plans for more basic building work, for example building an addition and detailed drawings for a plumber or electrician. They will also need to be LBP certified for any Restricted Building Work. Sometimes the terms Draughtsperson and Architectural Designer are used interchangeably.

More information?

If you need recommendations for someone to assist you, give the Planning Plus team a call. Through our work on resource consent applications, we have built up a network of proven professionals who can assist with all aspects of development. We’re sure we can recommend a good fit for you and your development.

Disclaimer As with all our blogs, the information detailed here is general in nature and meant as a preliminary guide only. This should not be substituted for your own investigations or use of your own professional’s. Planning Plus is not liable for any errors or omissions.

168 views0 comments


bottom of page